Saturday, November 22, 2008

two firsts

Evan is 8 months old and I experienced two of his amazing 'firsts' this month.

When I get home from work, the first thing I do is take Evan upstairs with me and I change into my jammies. A few weeks ago one evening, Evan got very excited and he was following me around. I layed down in front of him and said, "Come here Evan, come on." And he scooched to me, like an army crawl...he was all excited and determined. And when he got to me he put his little tiny hands inside mine and smiled all big. And my eyes filled up with tears. He had come to me!

Leaving for work in the mornings and saying goodbye to Evan and my mom is probably the hardest part of my day. Of course it helps knowing that he is with my mom and that she loves and cares for him very much. Last week, an absolutely mind blowing thing happened. Evan had just woken up very smiley and happy. Upstairs in his room my mom was holding in the rocking chair. I said good bye and waved at them, and Evan WAVED BACK!! Huh? Did that really happen, or was it a coincidence? So I waved again, and AGAIN Evan waved back! OH MY GOD! A 3rd time, he waved again!!! Okay, it wasn't really a wave, it was more like flapping his arm up and down, but it was intentional and extraordinary. As I walked down the stairs to my car, my eyes filled up with tears again!

What a wonderful thing it is to have a little baby boy who is growing up to be a bigger baby boy.

No comments: