Today Evan had surgery at Children's Hospital, and everything went very well and we're all home safe and sound. Right now I'm taking a 'break' and purging some of my feelings. Today has been really hard for me. My eyes are red and my head hurts from crying so much. But actually Evan did SO GREAT, it's just that I was SO WORRIED.
Evan's last solid food, including formula, was last night before bedtime. So that means that when he was getting prepped for surgery he was starving, plus there was so much going on that he had a hard time falling asleep for his nap even though he was in my arms. So he was starving and tired, and still he was not fussy. I could not believe it. He is such a sweet little boy. Evan didn't cry once before surgery, even though all these strangers were around. Even when they took him away Evan did not cry. I watched as the 2 anesthesiologists, one carrying Evan, walked down the hall away from us, and my eyes started tearing up. Evan didn't turn around and he didn't cry at all. Such a happy boy.
After surgery Evan was supposed to have clear fluids, like Pedialyte, apple juice, or water...but Evan just wanted milk. He cried and cried until the nurse said it was ok to give him formula, and then he was happy. We had a hard time finding a pharmacy that had oxycodone in a liquid infant formulation...but then Walgreens came through. Just a few hours after surgery, Evan's appetite returned.
I can hear Kyle reading a new book that we got in Hawaii to Evan about fish. Kyle has been my rock throughout this day. Keeping me calm and telling me everything is going to be ok.
Evan seems just a little fussy, but surprisingly is happy to crawl or stand still. I'm afraid for him that these activities might hurt, but I guess he'll let me know if it does. It's almost time for bed. I hope everything goes smoothly. Tonight we were instructed to wake him every 4 hours to give him pain medication and some food with it. Deep breath....we'll all get through this.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment