Saturday, October 25, 2008

peace and quite again

I was very nervous about our first time zone traveling with Evan. Will he know what time he's supposed to go to bed? Worse, will he wake up at 4am? Turns out my fears were unfounded. We just fed him his meals at the normal, local time and the time zone change didn't really affect him that much. True, the first morning he woke up at 4:40am, but it got better each day and after the 3rd day it was 6am. Evan slept in a crib in our room and it was really sweet to be so close to him. When he woke up in the morning we could hear him babbling to himself and playing with the toy we put into his crib. Then we'd take a walk on the beach and sometimes he would fall back asleep. It was so sweet.

After we got back home, we resumed his normal routine and I didn't think it'd be hard for him to fall asleep at bedtime because he was already so tired. But the first night he cried hard for 30 minutes before falling asleep. Oh my god this was hard on me. I've never heard him cry like that before. His cries now, compared to when he was little and we were sleep training him the first time, were more robust. He sounds like he's suffering and in despair! Evan sounded like an adult, sobbing and wailing, with a stuffy and runny nose, big giant crocidile tears streaming down his face. A far cry different than his little newborn whimpers. I'd go in to check on him and he'd look up at me with desperation all over his face. :( Once I even climbed into my own bed and cried too. But there is a good ending to this story. 4 nights of that, and POOF!!! It was a magical overnight transformation. Evan went from wailing for half an hour one night to falling asleep easily without a sound the next, and the next after that (that's tonight). Phew.....a huge sigh of relief. I guess my dad was right, it really does take 1 week to recover from jet lag.

No comments: